for the dip:
1 cup|135 grams raw cashews
2 teaspoons grated garlic
1 tablespoon chili crisp
1 bunch cilantro, stems only (leaves reserved for another day)
1 bunch dill, stems only (fronds reserved for another day)
kosher salt, to taste
apple cider vinegar, to taste
granulated sugar, to taste
for the wings:
1 pound|450 grams chicken wings
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¾ teaspoon granulated sugar, plus more to taste
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
vegetable oil, as needed
2 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons white vinegar powder
fish sauce, to taste
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 scallion, minced
- Make the dip: Cover raw cashews with boiling water in a medium heat-proof bowl and let sit for 5 minutes, then strain. Combine the cashews with ¾ cup|177 ml hot water, the garlic, chili crisp, and cilantro and dill stems in the bowl of a blender. Puree until smooth and creamy, adding more water if needed. Season with salt, vinegar, and sugar to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Light a grill. Pat chicken wings dry with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken wings with salt, ½ teaspoon sugar, and the pepper.
- Brush the wings all over with oil.
- Working in batches, grill the chicken wings, skin-side down. Cover and cook until crisp grill marks appear, about 10 minutes. Flip the wings, cover, and continue grilling until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 170°F, about 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Remove the wings and toss immediately with the remaining ¼ teaspoon sugar, the white vinegar powder, fish sauce, garlic, and scallion. Serve immediately with the dipping sauce.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.