Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
for the sauce:
¼ cup|80 grams sriracha
1 cup|220 grams vegan mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
for the palm cakes:
1 (28-ounce|794-gram) can hearts of palm, drained and roughly chopped
1 (15-ounce|425-gram) can chickpeas, drained, ¼ cup|60 ml liquid reserved
¼ cup|60 grams soy-free vegan mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon kelp granules
2 teaspoons Old Bay
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups|225 grams gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
vegetable oil, for frying
- Make the sauce: Stir all the ingredients together in a small bowl until combined and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the hearts of palm and chickpeas.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the reserved ¼ cup|60 ml chickpea liquid with the mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice until foamy. Stir in the parsley, kelp granules, Old Bay, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt until combined, then fold in the hearts of palm and chickpeas. Once combined, fold in the 2 cups|150 grams breadcrumbs and form into six patties.
- Place the remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl and coat the patties in the breadcrumbs. Transfer to a sheet tray and freeze for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat 2-inches oil in a large saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°F. Working in batches, fry the palm cakes until golden, about 1 minute. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt. Repeat with remaining palm cakes and serve with the sauce.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.