Makes about 30
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon creme fraiche
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 green plantains
vegetable oil, for frying
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
1 pound|454 grams jumbo lump crab meat
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon plain breadcrumbs
1 ½ teaspoons Old Bay
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced cilantro, plus micro cilantro or leaves to garnish
1 large egg yolk
1 garlic clove
1-2 grams caviar
edible gold flakes, for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, creme fraiche, vinegar, and mustard. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Peel the plantains and slice crosswise into 1-inch thick pieces.
- Heat ½-inch vegetable oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium. Working in batches, fry the plantains, flipping once, until golden all over, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate, then, using a glass with a flat bottom, gently press the plantains to about ¼-inch thick pieces.
- Working in batches, fry the plantains again, flipping once, until golden all over, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt. Keep warm.
- Heat the oven to broil. In a medium bowl, mix the crab meat with the mayonnaise, breadcrumbs, Old Bay, 1 teaspoon salt, the pepper, cilantro, and egg yolk. Using a microplane, grate in the garlic and zest in the lime, then mix to combine.
- Using 1 tablespoon, form the crab into patties on a baking sheet, then broil until golden, 5 to 6 minutes.
- To serve, top each tostone with a crab cake and caviar on a fancy serving platter. Drizzle the dressing over the top and garnish with micro cilantro.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.