I just happened to be searching for “dumb cat” on YouTube when I came across this video. If YouTube ever becomes a member of the UN, this video would be its representative delegate. Let’s just check off all the overused tropes it touches on:
1. The title prominently features the word “cat.”
2. The video opens with, if not actually his track, Skrillex-style dubstep.
3. The tile card has an incredibly 90s lens flare/death sequence wipe.
4. “Welcome To My Dumb Ass Cat” doesn’t even make sense, as a cat isn’t a location.
5. It has an insanely-long card asking to rate, comment, and subscribe.
6. The actual video clip is less than 10 seconds long.
7. Yakety Sax!
8. Said clip is filmed vertically on a cell phone, then flipped sideways.
9. The room is awkwardly dark and orange.
10. Lasers are involved.
11. There’s a thank you card, which appears with a diamond wipe.
12. It features “funny,” “stupid,” and “cute” in the tags.
Is there a more YouTube video out there? I doubt it, but if you’ve got one, let’s see it. I’m just going to go watch this again.
Follow Derek Mead on Twitter: @drderekmead