Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
for the tongues:
12 lamb tongues, washed
6 whole black peppercorns
2 garlic cloves
1 bunch parsley stalks
1 leek, trimmed and chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 sprig thyme
1 yellow onion, halved
1 tablespoon olive oil
for the bean salad:
8 ¾ ounces|250 grams green beans, trimmed and blanched
3 ½ ounces|100 grams watercress, washed, leaves picked
for the green sauce:
1 ½ tablespoons|20 milliliters extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra if needed
2 tablespoons capers
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
handful of dill, finely chopped
handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
handful of mint, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, grated
freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Prepare the tongues: In a large saucepan of salted water, bring the tongues to a boil, then drain.
- In a large saucepan, the peppercorns, garlic, parsley, leek, celery, thyme, and onion and cover with water. Bring to a boil, add the tongues, and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook, covered, until the tongues are tender, about 2 hours. Remove from the heat and allow the tongues to cool in their liquid.
- When the tongues are cool enough to handle, peel them and slice them in half lengthwise. Strain the stock, discarding the solids, and place the sliced tongue into the liquid.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the tongues and cook, turning as needed, until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the green beans and set aside.
- Make the green sauce: In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add a few tablespoons of the sauce to the bowl with the tongues along with the watercress. Season to taste and transfer to a serving plate. Serve with more green sauce on the side.
East London Food by Rosie Birkett & Helen Cathcart is published by Hoxton Mini Press, £26. Available from www.hoxtonminipress.com
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.