If you know techno then you know Underground Resistance. Started by Jeff Mills and Mike Banks in the 1980s, UR is the heart, soul, conscience and consciousness of Detroit's influential techno scene. They're arriving in Australia this week for Underground Resistance Presents Timeline Live, a journey "through the musical mazes of Detroit, between jazz and techno, between the past and the future." But before they arrive they've also put together the definitive guide to Detroit culture. Here's some top travel tips courtesy of UR for your next visit to the Motor City.
2. Shopping at the Eastern Market on a Saturday Morning. Best time to stock your fridge, pantry and wine racks.
3. Going to Baker's Keyboard Lounge and eating Soul Food and listening to live Jazz. It's the World's oldest operating Jazz Club.
4. Making a stop at Dutch Girl Donuts regardless of the time of day. Absolutely the best donuts in the city.
5. Doing a tour of United Sound Systems Recording Studio. Although tourists love to visit the Motown Museum, United Sound also has a very rich history and is just as amazing to visit.
6. Stopping by Submerge to visit the Techno Museum/Somewhere in Detroit Record Shop. What better way to get a lesson on Detroit techno by stopping by the World's only techno Museum then getting the chance to buy great records and on some occasions, meet the producers of the records.
7. Spending a day at the Detroit International Jazz Fest. With top local and international Jazz artists performing Labor Day Weekend. Also it's the world's largest free jazz fest!
8. Going to Buddy's Pizza on Detroit's east side. Although Buddy's has multiple locations, this one being the original location has the best square pizza you'll ever taste.
9. Visit Floods Bar and Grill on a Sunday night. Floods is known for live entertainment nightly and also for its great soul food. Sunday nights however, you see Detroit's finest and worst coming out to enjoy a night out. Ranging from 21 to 91, literally!!!
10. Go to either Lafayette or American Coney Island. Get 2 Coney dogs, a bag of Better Made Chips and a Faygo Pop. We Love our Coney Islands and chips and pop. It's great for something quick and fast after a late night studio session. If those two locations are closed, there are lots that stay open for 24 hours.