Serves: 2 to 4
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
for the chicken:
1 pound|450 grams skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 large egg
1 cup|145 grams cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for frying
for the sauce:
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
10 tianjin chili pepper, cracked in half
8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
¼ cup|70 grams ketchup
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 ½ teaspoons dark soy sauce
1 ½ tablespoons light soy
2 ¼ cups|530 ml cola
2 tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup|120 grams granulated sugar
¼ cup|60 ml apple cider vinegar
kosher salt, to taste
10 ounces|300 grams broccoli florets
- Make the chicken: Mix the chicken and egg in a large bowl. Add the cornstarch and baking soda, then 6 tablespoons water and toss to combine. Add the oil and mix to combine, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2-inches oil in a large saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 400°F. One by one, add the chicken. Cook for 1 minute then, using a slotted spoon, transfer to a sheet tray lined with a paper towel.
- Heat the oil to 450°F and, working in batches, cook the chicken for a minute longer. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Cook the broccoli: Bring a large saucepan of generously salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook until vibrant green, about 1 minute. Drain the broccoli in a colander and keep warm until ready to use.
- Make the sauce: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the chilies and cook until fragrant, 1 minute, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Stir in the ketchup, oyster sauce, and soy sauces, then add the cola. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water, then, while continuously whisking, add the cornstarch slurry to the sauce. Keep stirring until the sauce boils rapidly and the mixture is thick, about 2 minutes. Stir in the sugar until dissolved, then add the vinegar.
- Add the double fried chicken to the wok with the sauce and give it a good toss. Garnish with the broccoli florets around the edge of the plate and pile the General Tso’s up in the middle.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.