Photo and artwork by Dylan Hughes
It's been almost three years since Fenriz – Gylve Nagell to the gods – sent us his last offering, the arrestingly cavernous "Slow Black Death", which he compiled for his 40th birthday.
A few months back, he told me he'd begun working on something "evil", but it wasn't until I saw two recent mixes with his lovely wife Marte (one was for Lowdown, and the other seems to have somehow vamoosed already), that I thought, 'Hey, how 'bout my mix, man?' To which he replied: "Keep pestering me for it." Which I did. Maybe two emails later he sent me this opus in the darkest arts of death and black metal, imaginatively entitled "Out of Our Own Orientation" – morbid visions, indeed. In his own words:
Obviously I went for the jugular immediately here and ferociously mixed a heap of evil ripping tracks together, then a little detour to Trondheim's bleaker side with the Black Majesty track before I head on off again. But then… there's the Goatwhore obscure intro thing, and suddenly I'm on a different vibe altogether with three majestic AND intricate longer songs at the end. The transmission concerning Quorthon's horses on top of the Bölzer outro came to me when I listened to the Bölzer track at work. Now let me rest.
- f e n r i z
Fenriz summoning the beast (Photo by Dylan Hughes)
1. Occult Burial (Canada) - “Occult Burial” 
2. Abyssous (Germany) - “Burial Sea” 
3. Protector (Germany) - “Apocalyptic Revolution” 
4. Quintessenz (Germany) - “Back to the Cult of the Tyrants” 
5. Alchemyst (Germany) - “Kharon” 
6. Ruins (Germany) - “Chambers of Perversion” 
7. Abysmal Lord (USA) - “Revelation” 
8. Black Majesty (Norway) - “Thus Singeth the Sword of Curse, Key of Truth” 
9. Sabbat (Japan) - “Witch Hammers” 
10. Deathstorm (Austria) - “Awakening of the Dead” 
11. Törr (Czech Republic) - “Exorcist” 
12. Goatvomit (Greece) - Just some awesome intro they have on a tape.
13. Funereal Presence (USA) - “The Tower” 
14. Bölzer (Switzerland) - “Labyrinthian Graves” 
15. Bathory (Sweden) - The first 10 and a bit minutes of the Blood Fire Death LP 
I've also been keeping up my monthly radio show on NTS, where I play the finest in forgotten metal for two hours. The shows are chronicled here, for those not in the know.
More from Dylan: †ROCKWELL†
More mixtapes from A Fist in the Face of God: