On my last trip to Norway, back in February of 2012, I stayed with Deathhammer frontman Daniel "Sergeant" Salsten in his downtown Oslo apartment. Fenriz and I had been out thrashing in a remote town called Drammen, and when we rocked up at Sergeant's place he was still going, a crate of stubbies on the living room table, an old live Exodus VHS on the TV. Thrash living 100 percent.
Fenriz was DJing a house club that night and was only staying a short while, but Daniel played us some records from the crates littering his hallway, many of them songs neither of us had heard before. I think this was the first time I asked him if he'd be up for doing a mix.
Then, quite deservedly, he and Sadomancer's band Deathhammer became pretty big (for an underground thrash band) and started touring more or less consistently across the globe, and we would meet at Live Evil every year, continue the jokes and hazy cloud that seems to follow us, and then get chatting about doing a mix again.
It took him a move to Tasmania as recently as January to finally get the project started, and from the off it was never going to disappoint. In one of the most tinkered-with mixes I have ever received, he managed to trim it down to almost 90 mins of loud and raw metal and punk. Almost pure perfection. He had this to say about the mix:
"Thrashing out and spacing in with Dylan at last year's Live Evil festival, the talks of creating a mix began. After floating around in the back of my mind for a while, the theme of the compilation ended up being some intense, aggressive shit. It's a mix of hardcore, speed and black metal, mostly quite fast. The crossover blend of hardcore and thrash is there for those moods when the blood is rushing and the neck is loose. It's a natural fusion I wish was around more these days, really. I trimmed the mix down to contain only the most ripping and maximum filthy tunes, energetic rapid stuff ideal for a rotten wasted night. If you're also obsessed with raw power and thrashing rage, this compilation is for you."
Before adding this about the incredible cover he drew:
"Here's the cover, inspired by how cool I felt wearing a Chicago Bulls cap as a child."
Play this one loud!
1. Impetigo (USA) - "Sinister Urge/Faceless" 
2. Pokolgép (Hungary) - "Vallomás" 
3. Raw Power (Italy) - "A Certain Kind of Killer" 
4. Rudimentary Peni [England] - "Nothing But A Nightmare" 
5. Crossfire [Belgium] - "Feeling Down" 
6. Kafka Prosess [Norway] - "90 Åra" 
7. Angel Dust (Germany) - "Fighters Return" 
8. Agnostic Front (USA) - "The Eliminator" 
9. Abhorer (Singapore) - "Zygotical Sabbatory Anabapt" 
10. Kaaos (Finalnd) - "Mellakka" 
11. Sauron (USA) - "Demonic Invasion" 
12. Turbo (Poland) - "Sztuczne Oddychanie" 
13. 666 (Norway) - "Alkohol" 
14. Descendants (USA) - "I'm Not A Loser" 
15. Cryptic Slaughter (USA) - "Rest in Pain" 
16. Biest (Germany) - "Motortraum" 
17. Victimised (Norway) - "Lot Deg Ligge" 
18. Carrion (Switzerland) - "Evil is There" 
19. Thrust (USA) - "Overdrive" 
20. R.K.L. (USA) - "Think Positive" 
21. Celtic Frost (Switzerland) - "Journey Into Fear" 
22. Nuclear Death (USA) - "Prolong the Agony" 
23. Kohu-63 (Finland) - "Huorra" 
24. Ghoul-Cult (Norway) - "Bulletbelt Berserker" 
25. Gang Green (USA) - "Sick Sex Sick" 
26. Impaled Nazarene (Finland) - "Condemned to Hell" 
More from Dylan: †ROCKWELL†
More mixtapes from A Fist in the Face of God: