"This is my grandma's sacred recipe, so don't fuck it up."
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
4 tablespoons black gram lentils
4 tablespoons chana dal
4 tablespoons yellow split pea lentils
2 red mirchi peppers
¼ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 large tomato
½ teaspoon tamarind paste
4 tablespoons lemon juice
pinch coriander leaves
pinch mint leaves
1 tablespoon ghee
pinch mustard seeds
pinch curry leaves
white rice, optional
- Roast the lentils, dal, mirchi, peppercorn, and cumin in a saute pan over medium heat until toasted and the spices become fragrant. Don't burn it.
- Grind mixture into fine powder. Set aside.
- Add diced tomatoes, tamarind paste, and lemon to 4 cups of water in a blender. Blend until mixed—you can blend longer to achieve a smooth consistency, or keep it chunky. Yea I said chunky.
- Set liquid over medium heat until boiling. Add 5 tablespoons of above spice powder into boiling water. If you want to thicken the mixture further, add more lentil powder. Add pinch of turmeric.
- After ten minutes, add coriander and mint leaves.
- In a separate pan, heat ghee. Add cumin and mustard seeds. When pan crackles, add curry leaves and pan ingredients to rasam mixture.
- Salt to taste. Drink alone or serve with white rice.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.