FYI.

This story is over 5 years old.

Health

There's a Deadly Batch of Ecstasy Currently Going Around Manchester

Following the death of a 17-year-old girl this weekend, police have warned that anyone who's taken a "MasterCard" pill should seek urgent medical attention.
May 3, 2016, 6:00pm
A batch of MasterCard pills. Photo via Dr. Drugs

Read: Ecstasy in the UK Is Stronger Than It's Ever Been

A 17-year-old girl died in Manchester this weekend after taking a so-called MasterCard ecstasy pill. The teenager got sick on Sunday at a club night called "Don't Let Daddy Know" and died at the hospital on Monday.

Police have released a warning to people who may have taken this drug—a pink pill with a break line on the back, pictured above—saying they should seek medical attention immediately.

Two people, a 19-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman, have since been arrested and are being held on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a Class A drug.

This is the latest in a string of ecstasy-related deaths to have hit British nightclubs over the last two years. Just over a month ago, 16-year-old Sky Nicol died after taking the drug and suffering a "suspected cardiac arrest."

In many of these recent deaths, the tablets have contained PMA, a highly toxic MDMA substitute that acts as a kind of antidepressant. An overdose of PMA can lead to extremely adverse reactions, such as tachycardia, hyperthermia, and is particularly dangerous when taken with other drugs, such as cocaine and pure MDMA.

As ecstasy use continues to rise among young people, it's important for all club goers to stay vigilant and be extremely careful.