Prep time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
for the pickled onions:
1 cup|240 ml white vinegar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
for the sauce:
1 ½ cups whole milk Greek yogurt
¼ cup chopped mint
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
for the gyro:
1 pound|454 grams ground lamb
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
⅓ cup minced parsley
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large egg
1 lemon, zested
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
5 pita pockets
olive oil and canola oil, for frying
1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Pickle the onions: Bring the white vinegar, granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, and 1 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Pour the liquid over the thinly sliced red onion in a medium bowl and let cool completely. Pickled onions will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks.
- Make the sauce: combine the Greek yogurt, mint, garlic, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Make the patties: Combine the ground lamb, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt, cumin, oregano, black pepper, garlic, egg, lemon zest, and onion and mix thoroughly. Form into 20 balls (use a melon baller or small ice cream scoop to keep size consistent. Each patty should use about two tablespoons of the meat mixture). Place balls on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and press down on each with a spatula to form patties.
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Cut each pita pocket into quarters. Open each pocket and place on a baking sheet. Bake until toasted, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon each canola and olive oil to the skillet and heat until shimmering. Working in batches, cook the patties, flipping once, until brown and crispy, about 6 minutes. Repeat with the rest of the patties, adding oil as needed.
- Assemble the gyros: Spread some sauce on the inside bottom of each pita pocket quarter. Nestle a lamb patty into the pita and top with shredded lettuce and pickled onion. Serve with extra sauce on the side.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.