The VICE Guide to Right Now

A Man Set His House on Fire While Trying to Get Rid of Wasps

“This is especially dumb,” said Thunder Bay Fire Chief John Hay.
Manisha Krishnan
Toronto, CA
August 8, 2017, 7:56pm
Photos via Wikimedia/Twitter 

A Thunder Bay man screwed up badly when he tried to light a wasp's nest in his yard on fire and set his house aflame in the process.

According to the media reports, the man decided to pour gasoline on the nest and set it on fire yesterday. But the flames spread to his house and had to be extinguished by local firefighters. In the process, the firefighters had to strip some of the siding of the man's house.


Speaking to the Canadian Press,Thunder Bay fire chief John Hay, described the man's decision as stupid.

"I don't get surprised any more, but this is especially dumb," he said, noting that he doesn't recommend pouring and lighting gasoline under any circumstance. "That's probably in my top 10 for my career, and I've been around a long time."

If it's any consolation to this dude, he's not alone.

Just last month a Michigan man used a smoke bomb to try to get rid of a wasp's nest in his garage and ended up burning the whole thing to the ground. In that case, a wood frame caught on fire and ignited a bunch of fireworks the man had stored near the garage.

Authorities responding to both scenes said it's best to call a professional if you have a problem with wasps.

Follow Manisha Krishnan on Twitter.