Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
for the everything bagel spice mix:
¼ cup dried garlic flakes
¼ cup dried onion flakes
¼ cup poppy seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
3 tablespoons caraway seeds (optional)
2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
for the latkes:
4 pounds|1 kilogram 814 grams russet potatoes, peeled
2 small yellow onions, peeled
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup everything bagel spice mix, plus more for sprinkling
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
peanut oil for frying
for the sandwich:
½ pound|227 grams plain cream cheese
3-4 vine-ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 jar capers, drained and rinsed
1 pound|454 grams thinly sliced nova
1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- Make the everything bagel spice mix: Mix everything in a bowl and set aside. Mix will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Make the latkes: Using a food processor with the grater attachment (or a box grater), coarsely grate the potatoes and onions. transfer to a cheesecloth or a clean towel and squeeze as much of the moisture out as you can. Allow the mixture to rest for 3 minutes before wringing it out again.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, everything bagel spice, and eggs until they form a paste. Add the potato and onion and mix until they are evenly coated.
- In a large skillet, heat about 1-inch of peanut oil over medium heat until it’s shimmering. Add roughly ½ cup of the latke mixture to the pan, flattening it with a spatula into a 4 ½-inch circle. Fry until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes, then flip and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer the latkes to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with more spice mix. Repeat with remaining mixture, being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- To make a sandwich, spread some cream cheese on one side of 2 latkes. Top with slices of tomato and red onion, some capers, salmon, and slices of cucumber. Spread more cream cheese on one side of another latke and place, cream cheese side-down, on the topped latke.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.