On Monday, the parents of two Americans killed during the 2012 attack on the US mission in Benghazi filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Hillary Clinton, as the New York Timesreports.
Patricia Smith and Charles Woods—mother of Sean Smith and father of Tyrone Woods, respectively—allege Clinton's use of a private email server while serving as secretary of state at the time resulted in their children's deaths.
"The Benghazi attack was directly and proximately caused, at a minimum by defendant Clinton's 'extreme carelessness' in handling confidential and classified information," the lawsuit asserts. It also claims Clinton has made "false and defamatory statements" against the parents.
Smith, an outspoken Trump fan, took the stage at the RNC last month to rail against Clinton. "For all of this loss, for all of this grief, for all of the cynicism the tragedy in Benghazi has wrought upon America," she said, "I blame Hillary Clinton."
A spokesman for the Clinton campaign responded, "While no one can imagine the pain of the families of the brave Americans we lost at Benghazi, there have been nine different investigations into this attack and none found any evidence whatsoever of any wrongdoing on the part of Hillary Clinton."
Indeed, even as he lambasted the Democratic presidential nominee for her email practices last month, FBI director James Comey said there was no direct evidence terrorists had gained access to Clinton's private server.