A teen at Broadneck High School in Annapolis, Maryland, was snacking on a pot brownie during his third period class yesterday when his teacher asked for a bite. The student, presumably high as hell on dank kush, reportedly "panicked" and broke off a piece of the brownie for his teacher without mentioning that it had weed in it. The teacher began to feel sick—enough so that she went to the school nurse, who sent her to the hospital, where she was given the grand diagnosis of being high.
When school administrators questioned the kid, he admitted that the brownie had contained marijuana, and that he'd failed to mention that to his teacher. He was charged with counts of administering a dangerous substance, assault, and reckless endangerment.
The school's principal, David Smith, sent out a letter to the school's parents explaining what had happened and urging parents to " talk with your child about this matter and encourage them to only consume food that they bring to school or that is purchased at our school." In other words: trust no one, because anything could be laced with weed.
This year has been a tumultuous one for marijuana edibles. Levy Thamba, a 19-year-old college student, leapt off a balcony after "becoming agitated" from a marijuana cookie. A two-year-old girl in Colorado was sent to the hospital after eating an edible, and the number of kids rushed to Colorado hospitals after accidentally ingesting marijuana doubled in the past year. And then there was the Maureen Dowd incident, for which there isn't really an excuse, but which still cast a dubious light on the safety of edibles.
Edibles shouldn't have that kind of rap. The rules of the game are pretty simple: check the dosing, keep your goodies in child-proof packaging, and don't give them to unsuspecting people. So kids, let this be a reminder to enjoy your edibles responsibly—and please, don't give drugs to your teachers.
Follow Arielle Pardes on Twitter.