For nearly two years since the Trump administration enacted the “Remain in Mexico” policy, tens of thousands of asylum seekers have been in a holding pattern akin to immigration purgatory. We spent time with migrants in Ciudad Juarez waiting for the Biden administration to announce a change in policy.
- Trump’s asylum policies sent a man and his child back to Mexico. They were kidnapped five hours later.
- These migrants stuck in tent cities along the U.S.-Mexico border just had their hopes destroyed by the Supreme Court.
- What life is like for migrants who occupied a bridge between the U.S. and Mexico to protest their living conditions.
- Watch VICE TV’s documentary about the dangerous road Central American migrants must travel to get to the U.S. border.
- A pastor in Mexico made a deal with a local cartel boss to protect some migrants, and stay away from others.
This episode was reported by Lisette Poole. Produced by Jesse Alejandro Cottrell.
VICE News Reports is produced by Jesse Alejandro Cottrell, Jen Kinney, Janice Llamoca and Julia Nutter. Our senior producers are Ashley Cleek and Adizah Eghan. Our associate producers are Sam Eagan, Sophie Kazis, and Adreanna Rodriguez. Sound design and music composition by Steve Bone and Kyle Murdock.
Our executive producer and VP of VICE Audio is Kate Osborn. Janet Lee is senior production manager for VICE Audio. Production coordination by Steph Brown. Fact checking by Nicole Pasulka.
Episode art by our host, Arielle Duhaime-Ross.