Makes 2 loaves
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 17 hours (includes overnight proofing)
5 ¼ cups|700 grams farmer ground half white bread flour
2 ½ cups|250 grams farmer ground whole wheat spelt flour
½ cup|50 grams farmer ground rye flour
250 grams ripe starter
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons|25 grams kosher salt
canola oil, for greasing
- Using your hands, mix the flours and 3 ½ cups|800 grams water in a large mixing bow until it comes together and all of the flour is visibly hydrated. Cover with a towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Add the starter and salt and continue mixing by hand by squeezing in the salt and starter into the dough, making sure it’s well incorporated. Mix until a smooth-ish ball is formed. Transfer to a very lightly oiled bowl or plastic container and keep in a slightly warmer than room temperature space, covered with a towel. Give the dough a good fold every 30 minutes for 4 hours. 8 folds in total.
- After 4 hours, place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and divide into 2 equal balls. Shape Place in a lined basket or two mixing bowls that have been lined with a lightly floured kitchen towel.
- Proof the dough for another 5 hours, or until the dough has risen by about ⅓. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- The next day, place a Dutch oven in the oven and heat to 500°F. After about 45 minutes, remove the Dutch oven carefully and remove the lid. Place one of the doughs directly from the refrigerator into the dutch oven and score with a razor blade. Bake for 25 minutes, covered, then remove the lid and reduce the heat to 400°F. Bake an additional 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Let the bread rest 30 minutes to an hour before slicing.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here .