Makes about 1 pound 6 ounces|623 grams
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
2 cups|260 grams whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup|200 grams light brown sugar
7 tablespoons|100 grams unsalted butter, softened
⅓ cup|80 ml honey
3 tablespoons whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with an electric hand mixer, cream the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the honey, milk, and vanilla and beat until creamy, then reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture until incorporated and a soft dough forms, about 2 minutes. The dough should be sticky and soft.
- Divide the dough in two discs and wrap both in plastic. Chill for at least one hour.
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Lightly dust a piece of parchment paper with flour and place a ball of dough on top. Pat the dough into a 5-by-6-inch rectangle, sprinkle with flour, flip, and dust again, Top with another piece of parchment paper and, working from the center out and adding more flour as needed, roll the dough until a roughly 15-inch-by-11-inch thin rectangle. Slide onto a baking sheet and brush away any excess flour. Repeat with the remaining piece of dough.
- Bake until the crackers are slightly firm and golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool to room temperature directly on the baking sheets. Cut into whatever sizes and shapes you’d like. The graham crackers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks at room temperature or frozen for up to 3 months.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.