Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
for the fried chicken:
1 ½ cups|375 ml buttermilk
4 boneless, skin-on chicken thighs
1 cup|150 grams all-purpose flour
¼ cup|33 grams cornstarch
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 ½ teaspoons paprika
canola oil, for frying
for the syrup:
¾ cup|180 ml maple syrup
¼ cup|60 ml honey
¼ cup|60 ml bourbon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
for the waffles:
1 cup|140 grams grams all-purpose flour
¼ cup|55 grams granulated sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg, separated
¾ cup||180 ml buttermilk
¼ cup|60 ml whole milk
4 tablespoons|65 grams unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Marinate the chicken: Place the buttermilk and chicken thighs in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
2. Make the bourbon maple syrup: In a small saucepan, heat the syrup, honey, and bourbon, stirring, for about 3 minutes over medium heat. Add the butter, one cube at a time, mixing until fully incorporated before adding more. Set the syrup aside.
3. Fry the chicken: Mix the flour, cornstarch, salt, and paprika in a large bowl. Heat 2-inches canola oil in a large saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reaches 350°F. Working in batches, dredge the chicken in the dry batter and fry, turning as needed, until golden and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 165°F, about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a sheet tray fitted with a cooling rack, season with salt, and keep warm in a 250°F oven.
4. Make the waffles: Heat the waffle iron. In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
5. Using a hand mixer, beat the egg whites in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form.
6. In a small bowl, mix together the egg yolks, buttermilk, milk, melted butter, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the egg whites.
7. Pour about ½ cup of batter into each waffle mold and cook on the classic setting until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes.
8. To serve, divide the waffles among plates and top with chicken. Drizzle with the syrup and enjoy.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here .