Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
3 garlic cloves
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 links fresh chorizo, cut into ¼-inch circles
½ yellow onion
1 (1 ½ cups|355 ml) can Mexican beer
1 (15.5 ounce|439 gram) can chickpeas strained, liquid reserved
2 limes, zested and juiced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large egg
- In a mortar and pestle, smash the garlic with a pinch of salt until it forms a thin paste, then set it aside.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron pan over medium-high, cook the chorizo until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to a bowl.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and lower the heat to medium. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add half of the beer (drink the rest), increase the heat to high, and reduce by half.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the reserved sausage, half of the chickpea liquid, and the chickpeas and cook until thick, about about 8 minutes. Stir in the lime zest and juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high and cook the egg until lightly set, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter into the chickpeas and top with the fried egg.
Chef's Note: Add one pickled jalapeño, greens, herbs, avocado, salsa verde, yogurt, cotija cheese…. almost anything
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.