"Just eat the fucking burger."
Servings: 10-12 Burgers
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
5 pounds|2 kilograms 268 grams beef chuck or 5 pounds|2 kilograms 268 grams fresh ground beef from a butcher
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
10-12 slices American cheese
10-12 hamburger buns (egg with sesame or brioche)
1 tub of butter, softened
1 head iceberg lettuce
2 hot house tomatoes, thinly sliced
dill pickles, thinly sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
ketchup and mustard, to taste
- Place cast-iron skillet over medium for 10 minutes before cooking patties.
- Cut and grind meat.
- Roll out 7 ounce|200 gram burger balls and pat them into flat, thick patties, about 1 inch thick.
- Season patties with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, and place in the cast iron pan (with no oil). The fat will render out and you will have a juicier burger from the natural fat still inside the patty. Cook for 4 minutes on one side, then flip.
- Add the cheese and pour 2 tablespoons of water into the pan, covering it immediately so that the burgers can steam. Take the lid off after 45 seconds. The cheese should be fully melted.
- Butter your buns, and place them in another pan so they get nice and awesome.
- On your toasty buns, add cheesy beef patties, iceberg lettuce, tomato, red onion, and pickles, and squeeze some ketchup and mustard on top.
- Serve with chips, salad, more pickles or hot peppers, and just eat the fucking burger.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.