Harvey Weinstein trapped a woman inside a hotel room and raped her, criminal complaint says

Harvey Weinstein was arraigned Friday morning after turning himself into the New York police.
May 25, 2018, 2:33pm

Disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein has finally showed his face in a court of law — months after the New York Times and The New Yorker exploded Hollywood, and the rest of the planet, with exposés accusing movie producer Harvey Weinstein of sexually harassing and assaulting women for decades.

On Friday morning, Weinstein was charged in a New York court with rape in the first and third degree, and a criminal sex act in the first degree. All three are felonies. More than 80 women have accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct, although the charges relate to only two separate incidents, one in 2004 and one in 2013.

Advertisement

Sometime between June and September of 2004, at what’s now the Tribeca Film Center, Weinstein forced a woman to perform oral sex on him by “grabbing the back of the informant’s head, forcing her head downward and forcing her mouth onto his penis,” according to the complaint. Then, on March 18, 2013, he allegedly trapped another woman inside a hotel room and raped her.

Weinstein has repeatedly denied all accusations of nonconsensual sex.

Weinstein turned himself in to New York police early Friday morning, and Judge Kevin McGrath set his bail was set at $1 million cash, with a $10 million bond. Weinstein will also have to wear a monitoring device and can’t travel outside of New York or Connecticut without court approval.

The charges against Weinstein may keep coming. Not only are district attorneys in New York still investigating more victims’ allegations about Weinstein, but federal prosecutors are now considering instigating a criminal probe into the disgraced Hollywood producer, the Wall Street Journal reported earlier this week.

“Today’s charges reflect significant progress in this active, ongoing investigation. I thank the brave survivors who have come forward, and my Office’s prosecutors who have worked tirelessly on this investigation,” Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance said in a statement. He declined to prosecute Weinstein in 2015, after Ambra Battilana Gutierrez accused Weinstein of sexual assault, though sources involved with the investigation told The New Yorker that they felt the case was solid.

Vance also urged other survivors and people with “relevant information” to call the New York Police Department’s sex crimes hotline, at 212-335-9373.

Cover image: Harvey Weinstein is escorted into court, Friday, May 25, 2018, in New York. Weinstein surrendered Friday to face rape and other charges from encounters with two women. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)