Prep time: 1 hour 20 minutes
10.5 grams instant yeast
1 1/4 tablespoons malt
1/3 cup oil
4 1/2 tablespoons honey
5 cups warm water
9 1/2 cups high-gluten flour
4 tablespoons kosher salt
5 1/2 cups old dough
seeds of choice (sesame, poppy)
1. Preheat the oven to 460° F. In an electric mixer with a dough hook, mix yeast, water, and honey together. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
2. Add rest of ingredients and mix for about 10 minutes until dough can "pull a window." Place the dough in a clean, lightly oiled bowl, cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and let the dough rise at room temperature for one hour.
3. Portion dough to 4 oz. balls, then roll out into 4 inch long strands.
4. Next, take each strand by the ends and mold ends together to form a bagel shape.
5. Let bagels stand for 5 minutes and dump into honey water mixture for about 5 minutes. Strain and sprinkle seeds on the bagels, then bake in the oven for about 10 minutes.
6. Allow bagels to cool slightly. Reduce oven temperature to 375° F. Cut each bagel in half and top with your favorite tomato sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. Bake for 10 minutes to achieve bagel bite status.