Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes, plus 2 hours marinating
7 tablespoons|110 ml olive oil
7 tablespoons|110 ml pomegranate juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1 serrano pepper, stemmed and minced
12 ounces|350 grams chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup|115 grams tri-color quinoa
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
4 ounces|120 grams cassava, peeled and thinly sliced into 1-inch by 2-inch pieces
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
⅓ cup|65 grams pomegranate seeds
⅓ cup|75 grams roughly chopped dried apricots
⅓ cup|50 grams toasted and roughly chopped hazelnuts
¼ cup|40 grams grams golden raisins
¼ cup|10 grams roughly chopped mint leaves
¼ cup|10 grams roughly chopped parsley leaves
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 6 tablespoons pomegranate juice, 2 tablespoon olive oil, the garlic, and serrano. Toss in the chicken to coat, then transfer to a ziplock bag and marinate for 2 hours.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the quinoa and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Heat 2-inches vegetable oil in a medium saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°F. Working in batches, fry the cassava until lightly golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a medium bowl and season generously with salt. Repeat with remaining cassava.
- In a large bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons olive oil with the remaining pomegranate juice, the red wine vinegar, honey, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and, cook with its marinade, turning as needed, until the marinade has reduced and the chicken is golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Toss the cooked quinoa and chicken with the prepared dressing, the pomegranate seeds, hazelnuts, apricots, raisins, mint, and parsley. Crumble in half of the cassava and season with salt and pepper. Garnish by lightly crushing the remaining cassava chips over the salad before serving.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.