Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes, plus 1 day of soaking
2 cups|454 grams sweet rice
1 ¾ cups|50 grams dried shiitake mushrooms
½ cup|50 grams dried shrimp
⅓ cup|50 grams dried scallops
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
4 Chinese sausages, diced into ¼-inch pieces
1 (1-inch) knob ginger, minced
5 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
¼ cup|60 grams oyster sauce
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
kosher salt, to taste
3 scallions, sliced
- Put the rice in a medium bowl and rinse several times in cold water until the water is clear, then drain. Cover the rice with cold water and soak in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours, then drain.
- Place shrimp, scallops, and mushrooms in separate containers, then cover with cold water and soak in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours. (Pro tip: Use the mushroom, shrimp, and scallop soaking water to soak rice for extra flavor!) Drain, then chop the shrimp and mushrooms into ¼-inch pieces and shred the scallops.
- Line a bamboo steamer with parchment paper, then spread the rice in an even layer. Place over a wok of simmering water and cover. Increase the heat to high and steam for about 40 minutes, or until the rice is translucent and cooked through. Turn off the heat, fluff the rice with a wooden spoon, then cover and rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat a wok or large skillet on high. Add the vegetable oil, followed by the rehydrated shrimp, scallops, and mushrooms, garlic, the Chinese sausage, and ginger. Season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fat from the sausage begins to render and everything caramelizes, 6 to 7 minutes. Place the cooked mixture in a medium bowl and reserve. Add the cooked rice to the wok, breaking up any clumps with a wooden spoon, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Toss in the sesame oil, oyster sauce, and soy sauces and season with salt. Add the shiitake, shrimp, and scallop mixture back to the wok and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon, until the sauce and ingredients are incorporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and divide among plates. Garnish with the scallions and get into it.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.