Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
3 pounds|1 kilogram 361 grams prepared cornbread
unsalted butter, for greasing
6 slices thick smoked bacon, coarsely chopped
¾ pound|340 grams chorizo sausage, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon toasted and ground coriander
1 teaspoon toasted and ground cumin
1 teaspoon toasted and ground white pepper
6-8 medium red fresno chilies
2 jalapeños, minced
3 sprigs thyme, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 large medium sweet onion, diced
3 cups cooked and chopped quahogs or other fresh clams
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
4 scallions, minced
2 cups|473 ml chicken broth
1 cup|237 ml heavy cream
2 large eggs
- Heat oven to 300°F|150°C. Place cornbread on 2 baking sheets and bake, stirring gently, until firm and lightly toasted, 45 minutes. Cool completely and transfer to a large bowl. Increase oven temperature to 350°F|180°C.
- Grease a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish with butter and set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp and the fat has rendered, about 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add the chorizo, spices, chilies, thyme, garlic, celery, and onion and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the chorizo is red and has sweat out red fat. Transfer to the bowl with the cornbread along with the bacon, clams, parsley, and scallions and toss well to combine.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk the chicken broth with the cream and eggs. Pour over the cornbread mixture and toss well to combined and moistened. Transfer to prepared baking dish, cover with foil, and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until the stuffing is hot, browned, and slightly crispy on top.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.