At the inauguration, the plant’s CEO, Victor Timoteo, also paid tribute to the dedication of the workers. “I want to thank the workers who have continued tirelessly with their tasks, even when COVID-19 was at its peak,” he said. “The admiration for them is impeccable, for having accepted to remain far from their families so that the factory could continue working.”The workers, however, tell a different story. Cheap cement has come at the cost of locals, they said, and the plant has bypassed environmental regulations—all with the blessing of Mozambique’s ruling party.“They used to say that we were stuck here because of corona,” said Nádia. “We’ve realized that, after all, they were just taking advantage of the disease to be able to exploit us even more.”“We’ve realized that, after all, they were just taking advantage of the disease to be able to exploit us even more.”
The Dugongo cement factory in southern Mozambique officially opened on May 26, 2021. (Grant Lee Neuenburg for VICE World News)
Over a year later, the workers have yet to be released—with the exception of a period of one month earlier in the year, when the plant had a COVID-19 outbreak. But now they are back, forced again to live at Dugongo. “All I want is bread for my children,” said one man standing in front of his house across the road from the plant—having snuck out when his 12-hour shift finished, to spend his downtime with his wife and children. “[But] if they see me here, my bread’s over.” The man, whose name has been withheld to protect him from retribution, said he worked from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. every night, without a break for weekends or holidays. “The Chinese say, ‘Take a day off when you're dead,’” he said. It’s difficult for workers to speak out: 15 of them were fired last year on suspicion of having spoken to journalists from O País about their plight, one of their colleagues told VICE World News. The man who said he worked all night said one thing has improved, however: The factory managers don’t beat the Mozambican workers like they used to.“All I want is bread for my children.”
José Benedito Luís and Catarina José Matlhava stand with five of their six children outside of their temporary housing near the cement factory. Matlhava worked in the plant for a year until she was let go in May. (Grant Lee Neuenburg for VICE World News)
A woman walks toward the Dugongo cement plant. (Grant Lee Neuenburg for VICE World News)
As the project was being set up in 2009, one of Pa’s Queensway Group companies made a loan of just over $300,000 to Mozambique’s ambassador to China, Antonio Inacio Junior, as revealed in a court filing in Hong Kong in 2012. Despite facing corruption charges in 2012, for which he was twice found guilty and never exonerated, Inacio Junior remains a senior figure in the ministry of foreign affairs in Maputo, and head of the body dealing with refugees.The business dealings of the companies involved in the cement plant are murky.
Mozambique's President, Filipe Nyusi, speaks at the Dugongo cement factory inauguration in May. (Grant Lee Neuenburg for VICE World News)
Helena Mathlave was displaced from her home that is now occupied by the Dugongo cement factory. She has been temporarily moved across the road from the plant, which can be seen in the background. (Grant Lee Neuenburg for VICE World News)
Late in 2020, however, one small group of locals was resettled to make way for a limestone quarry to supply the cement plant. José Benedito Luís is one of those resettled residents. His family used to live on and farm fertile land where the quarry now stands, but along with 11 other families, they now live in concrete blocks built surrounding a nearby dirt yard in a facility originally built as temporary accommodation for Chinese workers. Though one room was supposed to be guaranteed for each family, there wasn’t enough space, so now toilets serve as the home for at least one household.For over a year, Luís’ partner and the mother of their three children, stayed inside the plant in order to keep her job. In May, she was let go and offered a 7,000 meticais ($113) payout, which she refused. “I worked more than two years, and now they just want to give me 7,000 in compensation? I refused to take it because it makes no sense,” she said. “My [monthly] salary varied from 11,000 to 13,000 meticais, but now they only give 7,000 in compensation? That’s not even one [month’s] salary.”Even though his family is now together and outside of the plant, life in the resettled area is hard, Luís told VICE World News. They’re not used to living in such close quarters with their neighbors. Not everyone gets on with each other, and there’s little to do. Dugongo Cimentos fills a water reservoir once a month to provide the community with water that typically lasts a week, Luís said. For the rest of the month, they use a tap a five-minute walk from their homes on the edge of the cement plant.Though one room was supposed to be guaranteed per family, there wasn’t enough space and now toilets serve as the home for at least one household.
José Benedito Luís and his son Junior were displaced by the cement factory. They currently live in temporary housing. (Grant Lee Neuenburg for VICE World News)
Hundreds of workers are still virtually held captive at the Dugongo cement plant in Mozambique. (Grant Lee Neuenburg for VICE World News)
And for the hundreds of workers like Nádia still trapped in the cement plant, the emancipation promised by Frelimo—the Mozambique Liberation Front, which took control of the country almost half a century ago from its Portuguese colonizers—is a long time coming.“I am a liberation veteran,” said Artur da Conceição Amaral, who worked at the Dugongo plant until January this year. “We didn’t fight to be enslaved again, but rather to feel free in our own country. But now it seems the fight was in vain, because we’re still being treated like slaves.”Follow Tom Bowker on Twitter.“We’re still being treated like slaves.”