Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
½ pound|227 grams salt cod
10 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound|454 grams Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
kosher salt, to taste
½ cup|120 ml whole milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 bunch mustard greens, thinly sliced
freshly picked vegetables, cleaned and sliced to your liking
- Place cod in a 2-quart saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high and cook for 20 minutes. Drain cod, return to saucepan, and repeat process twice more. Transfer cod to a large bowl and flake with a fork into large chunks.
- Heat 2 tablespoons|28 grams butter in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add the salt cod and cook, breaking up the cod with the back of a wooden spoon and stirring constantly, until the cod turns floss-like and dark golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Set the cod aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cover potatoes with water and season generously with salt. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, 15 minutes. Drain, reserving the water. Pass the potatoes through a potato ricer and into a heat-proof bowl. Add in the remaining butter and the milk and mix to combine–it should be very thin. Season with salt.
- Place the reserved cooking liquid back into the pot and place over medium-low. Add the bowl of mashed potatoes to the top and keep warm, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place potatoes in a bowl. Top with the lemon dressing, the salt cod, and the mustard greens. Dip the vegetables in and enjoy.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.