Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
1 ½ pounds|680 grams butternut squash
1 ½ pounds|680 grams potatoes
½ medium yellow onion
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons Matzo Meal or dried breadcrumbs, finely ground
1 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
3-4 large eggs
3 cups|710 ml schmaltz, olive oil, or vegetable oil
8 ounces|227 grams gorgonzola dolce, softened
maple syrup, to taste
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Peel butternut squash, potato, and onion; grate finely, using a box grater. Place grated vegetables in a large bowl with flour, matzo meal, salt, pepper, and eggs and mix well without kneading.
- Heat schmaltz in frying pan until shimmering. Form 2-inch patties with the mixture and fry in oil until golden on first side. If patties are too dry to hold shape, add 1 more egg. Turn to second side and fry until golden.
- Season after frying with salt and place on a sheet pan. Repeat until all patties are made.
- Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes.
- Add ½ ounce gorgonzola dolce to top each latke, then melt for 2 minutes in the oven. Serve immediately drizzled with maple syrup.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here.