Next week, July 11 and 12, Mamby on the Beach festival will erupt in the city of Chicago for the very first time. Nestled on the waterfront oasis of Oakwood Beach, the two day weekender promises to flex the city's house-roots to the max with sets from Chicago icons like Farley Jackmaster Funk and Gene Farris, as well as a bunch of buzzing cross-genre talent like Zhu (midwest debut) and Empire of the Sun. Among the carefully curated list of DJs and live acts is Chicago house legend and longtime figure in the dance music universe, Felix Da Housecat. Just getting a chance to see Felix spin his sensual beats in his home city is a treat in itself, but the organizers at the festival, React Presents, Felix, and of course, the nice people here at THUMP, want to up the ante by offering you a lot of free stuff.
Without further adieu, we present Felix's Five Chicago Favorites:
The first five fans who locate a special poster of Felix's new album (Narrative Of Thee Blast Illusion, out July 10 on No Shame), snaps a picture of said poster and uploads with the hashtag #FelixsFavorites will win a, *drumroll please*….. pair of GA passes to the festival, a copy of the new LP, and be selected at random to win a grand prize. The big prize includes, an upgrade to VIP tickets of the festival, a pair of tickets to Felix's Official Mamby After Party, a signed poster, official Mamby swag, and an exclusive listening party with Felix himself at the event. Now to make all of this a reality in your life, all you have to do is follow the clues. Time to get on your thinking caps people!
1. One of Felix's favorite places to eat in Chicago is this Original Polish Sausage Stand from Maxwell Street.
2. Chicago DJs Dani Deahl and Fei Tang of Porn and Chicken were the first couple to get married in this 46-year old record shop.
3. This authentic European pastry shop is a family-owned and operated bakery that has been serving delicious home-style pastries, cakes and baked goodies to their faithful Chicago clientele for more than 20 years.
4. Felix's favorite spot to grab a late night bite is at a 24-hour counter-serve spot serving Greek-American fare such as gyros, burgers, fries & hot dogs.
5. This interactive fountain, designed by Spanish artist Jaume Plensa, is a major addition to the city's world-renowned public art collection, and is the perfect place to cool down on a hot summer day.
If you have any questions, we probably can't help you because we are all from Brooklyn and only know how to spend all our money at Gramaphone Records when we hit the Windy City. But, we wish you luck anyways! (Just kidding, tweet us with questions if you want and we'll do our best).
Get your tickets to Mamby on the Beach here.