The video, which was released by To The Stars Academy on Friday under the name GO FAST, was attained by a freedom of information request, according to the group. The group says it is footage from an F/A-18 Super Hornet equipped with a [takes a deep breath] Raytheon AN/ASQ-228 Advanced Targeting Forward-Looking Infrared, which works as a camera.
You can watch it below.
The video shows two pilots conversing as they encounter an unidentified flying object that has no wings or tail over an undisclosed portion of the east coast. Even though it’s rapidly moving, the object shows no sign of an exhaust plume—something that occurs on the majority of flying objects. The video starts with one of the Navy officers zooming in on the object which appears to be moving quickly over the ocean.
“Whoooooaaaaa, got it,” exclaims the officer. After a brief bit of laughter, one of the two excitedly asks, “What the fuck is that thing?” They then discuss how they are tracking it before they again start to excitingly talk about what they’re seeing.
“Oh my gosh, dude,” says one to which the other responds with “Wow! What is that, man? Look at it flying!”
DeLonge has long been a believer in aliens, an obsession that has bled into his music—most prominently in the band Angels & Airwaves and in the Blink 182 song “Aliens Exist” that appeared on the band’s massive album Enema of the State.
DeLonge, for a time, actually quit music to focus on studying UFOs full-time. That said, To The Stars Academy isn’t run solely by a former pop-punk prince, but is instead headed up by James Semivan, a former CIA agent, and Hal Puthoff, a former NASA and US Department of Defense adviser.
If Go Fast is indeed legit, it is now the third in a trilogy of videos that have been released by the government in recent time. Late last year, the New York Times published a blockbuster story outlining a secret Pentagon program which investigated UFOs and included two videos—the program allegedly ended in 2012. Christopher Mellon, a former deputy assistant secretary of defense for intelligence who now works with DeLonge, bemoaned the end of the program and the fact that there seems to be no interest in investigating these sightings in an editorial for the Washington Post regarding GO FAST.
“Nobody wants to be ‘the alien guy’ in the national security bureaucracy; nobody wants to be ridiculed or sidelined for drawing attention to the issue,” wrote Mellon. “This is true up and down the chain of command, and it is a serious and recurring impediment to progress.”
Speaking with CNN, Luis Elizondo, the former head of the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program (the program outlined in the NYT story) who now works with To The Stars Academy, said that the Department of Defense approved the release and that To The Stars went through the proper channels to attain the video. He also noted how similar it was to the videos released by the NYT and that while it may not necessarily be from the creatures from above, it’s still fucking weird.
"It could be anything, so I wouldn't rule anything out, and that's why I think we need to look at it," Elizondo said. "I mean it could be Russian. It could be Chinese. It could be little green men from Mars.”
“We don't know what the hell it is."
This article originally appeared on VICE CA.