Advertisement
News

​Three Dead in Apparent Crossbow Attack in Toronto

At least one person is being held in police custody.

by Rachel Browne
Aug 25 2016, 7:15pm

Three are dead after an apparent crossbow attack. Photo via Flickr user Juha Kettunen

Three people are dead and another person has been injured following an apparent crossbow attack in Scarborough on Thursday.

A 35-year-old unidentified man has been taken into police custody, a Toronto police spokesperson said at a press conference Thursday evening.

The spokesperson said that the crossbow incident is related to a suspicious package that was found at Queens Quay earlier in the day.

Not much else is known yet about the incident, and it's unclear whether a crossbow caused the deaths. A Toronto police spokesperson told VICE that three people were found near Lawndale and Aro Roads after police were called to investigate a stabbing. The Toronto Star reported that three people were found with crossbow bolts in their bodies, but the spokesperson wouldn't confirm this, saying only that a crossbow was found at the scene. The CBC is reporting that two men and one woman died in the incident and were found in a garage.

Paramedics are reportedly examining two other people, but their conditions are also unknown.

This isn't the first time a crossbow attack has happened in Toronto. In 2012, a 26-year-old was sentenced to life in prison for murdering his abusive father with a crossbow at a library.

Follow Rachel Browne on Twitter.