Vegan Roots Curry
Creamy with a touch of spice, just the way we like it.
Prep: 15 minutes
Total: 45 minutes
for the curry:
2 large potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ pumpkin, peeled and cut
15 ml coconut oil
15 grams curry powder
10 grams cayenne pepper
6 large vine-ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
1 bunch scallions, diced
1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and minced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 red bell peppers, stem and seeds removed, diced
½ head cauliflower, broken into florets
1 bunch fresh thyme
400 ml coconut milk
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
for the quinoa:
1 (300-gram) bag of red quinoa
1 scallion, lightly bashed
1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and smashed
30 ml coconut milk
pink Himalayan rock salt, to taste
1. Make the curry: Place potatoes and pumpkin in a large pot of generously salted water. Bring to a boil and simmer until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, add one tbsp of coconut oil and wait until it melts. Add the curry powder and cayenne pepper and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, scallions, and ginger and cook until the vegetables are slightly soft, about 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the thyme and the carrots, peppers, and cauliflower and cook stirring to coat, about 3 minutes. Add the potatoes, pumpkin, and the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
4. Make the quinoa: Place the quinoa, scallion, and ginger in a medium saucepan along with 2 2/3 cups|400 ml water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and season with the Himalayan salt.
5. Serve the curry with the quinoa.