"Using seasonal vegetables to complement the scallops is ideal."
Prep: 10 minutes
Total: 15 minutes
2 fresh scallops
salt and pepper, to taste
mix of ground coriander and fennel ("spice blend")
30 ml olive oil
40 g blanched English peas
30 g sea beans
30 g leeks
65 ml chicken stock
28 g butter
sprinkle of diced tomatoes, chives, shallots
150 g English peas, pureed
2 slices of crisped prosciutto chips
pea shoots, tarragon, or pea tendrils to garnish
1. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and a sprinkle of the spice mixture.
2. Sear in a hot pan with olive oil. Cook approximately 3-4 minutes on one side. Add in half the butter after they've cooked for 2 minutes to give them some nice color. Flip them to the other side and move off the heat—the residual heat will cook them through.
3. Meanwhile, in another pan, saute the sea beans, blanched peas, leeks, a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and fresh tarragon. After a minute, add the chicken stock and reduce until it starts to thicken. Add a sprinkle of tomatoes, chives, and shallots (reserving some for later).
4. Once the sauce is thick, swirl in the remaining butter and taste for seasoning. Add in another sprinkle of the tomatoes, chives, and shallots.
5. To plate, place a big spoonful of the pea puree on a plate, place the scallops on top of the puree, and pour the sauce with the vegetables on top. Place the prosciutto on either side. Add pea shoots, pea tendrils, and fresh tarragon to garnish. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle sea salt.