Servings: A lot
Prep time: 75 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
8 each large russet potatoes, washed
kosher salt, to taste
for the yogurt dip
1 17.6-oz container Greek yogurt
¼ cup heavy cream
1 bunch chives, chopped
vegetable oil for frying
1. Thinly slice the potatoes using a mandolin—you are welcome to do this with a knife, but you will want to kill yourself.
2. Soak the potato slices in water, jiggling them around a bit to rid them of their extra starch. Rinse and repeat, changing the water bath once or twice. Soak for 30 minutes.
3. Make the dip by mixing the yogurt, heavy cream, chives, and salt (to taste) in a medium bowl. Set aside.
4. Dry the potato slices with paper or dish towel. Heat about an inch of vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Test one chip—it should start rapidly bubbling but not color immediately.
5. Fry the chips, about 15 at a time, until they are a toasted brown color. Use a slotted spoon to move them to a paper towel to cool. Sprinkle them with salt and serve with the yogurt dip.