Bourbon and Chili Okra Fries with Smoky Crema Dip
Because everything tastes better fried, including pickled okra.
for the smoky crema dip:
(makes about 1 cup)
10 spring onions, trimmed (about 2 bunches)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove
7 ounces sour cream
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
fresh lime juice, to taste
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
for the okra fries:
7 ounces bourbon-pickled okra
1 1/4 cups / 300 ml beer
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 medium egg, beaten
vegetable oil, for frying
1. First, make the smoky crema dip. Heat oven to 450°F/230°C. Spread the scallions out into an even layer on a baking sheet and roast until golden, about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Transfer to a food processor with the cilantro, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper and purée until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Set aside until bourbon okra fries are ready,
3. Next, make the bourbon okra fries. Take the okra out of its brine and place on some paper towels to get rid of any excess liquid before frying.
4. In a large ziplock bag or bowl, combine the beer, flour, pepper, salt, and egg and mix thoroughly to combine. Add the okra and mix well to coat thoroughly.
5. Heat 2-inches oil in a 6-qt. saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reaches 350°F/180°C. Working in batches, fry the okra until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Serve hot with smoky crema dip.
Author's Note: This recipe is courtesy of Freddie Janssen's cookbook, Pickled: Over 60 inspiring recipes for Pickling, Kimchi, Vinegars & More.
- pickled okra
- crema dip
- bourbon pickled okra fries
- easy fried okra recipe