Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
for the bone marrow and fino sherry special sauce:
1 marrow bone split
1/4 cup|50 grams mayonnaise
1 tablespoon diced pickles
1 tablespoon diced shallot
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 splash fino sherry (or booze of your liking, whiskey or rum would work great
for the Nashville butter:
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
1 teaspoon smoked chipotle powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
for the fried oysters:
8 oysters, shucked (reserve the shells and brine)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon whole milk
1/4 cup|20 grams panko breadcrumbs
vegetable oil, for frying
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
reserved oyster brine
1. Make the special sauce: Heat the oven to 350°F|180°C. Place the bone on a sheet tray and roast it for 45 minutes, then mix it in a medium bowl with the remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Make the Nashville butter: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from the stovetop and whisk in the remaining ingredients. Keep warm.
3. Prepare the oysters: Place the flour and breadcrumbs in 2 separate bowls. Mix the milk and egg in a separate bowl. Dip each oyster in the flour, then the egg mixture, then the panko. Set aside on a plate.
4. Fry the oysters: Heat 2-inches oil in a medium saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reaches 350°F|180°C. Working in batches, fry the oysters until golden and crisp, about 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt.
5. To serve, add a teaspoon of special sauce to each oyster shell and top with an oyster. Drizzle with the butter and finish with a squeeze of lemon. Zest some lemon over the top and finish with a small drizzle of the oyster brine. Fucking banging.