Prep time: 35 minutes
Total time: 4 hours
2 kilograms lamb ribs
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon hot paprika
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 chipotle in Adobo sauce, plus 2 teaspoons Adobo sauce
2 1/2 limes
kosher salt, to taste
500 grams regular yogurt
12 green chilli peppers, seeded
4 yellow onions, thinly sliced
3 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
3 scallions or spring onions
1 tablespoon olive oil
handful dried cranberries
12 mini Souvlaki pita breads
cilantro or coriander, for serving
1. Heat oven to 300°F|150°C. Rub lamb ribs down with the cayenne, cumin, and paprika and transfer to a large roasting tray. Cook the ribs for 2 1/2 hours or until the meat falls off the bone, then let cool slightly. Refrigerate the lamb overnight, or until completely cool.
2. Line a sieve with cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. Add the yogurt, cover with cling film, and refrigerate overnight.
3. The next day, place the tomatoes, white onion, chipotle and Adobo sauce, the juice of half a lime, and salt into a large bowl. Purée with a stick blender until mixture is smooth and set the salsa aside. Alternatively, purée in a blender or food processor until smooth.
4. Scrape the thickened yogurt out of the sieve into another bowl and add a little bit of water to thin it slightly. Stir and refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Remove the lamb meat from the bones and save the cold fat that has solidified in the liquid. Place the lamb in a bowl with the fat.
6. Place chilies, yellow onions, bell peppers, and spring onion in an aluminum tray. Stir through the olive oil.
7. Light a grill. Break off chunks of solidified lamb fat. Heat on barbecue hot plate and add vegetables. Add dried cranberries.
8. Add the lamb to the grill and more fat as required. Cook until warmed through and crispy.
9. Place souvlaki pita breads on top of vegetables so they steam.
10. Squeeze juice of one lime over meat, bread, and vegetables while cooking.
11. Take bread off hot plate and place onto plates. Drizzle yogurt onto each piece. Place meat and vegetables on bread. Top with salsa, cilantro, and remaining lime juice and chilli peppers.