"Fresh herbs in ice cream is a must for everything that we do at OddFellows Ice Cream Company."
Prep time: 24 hours
for the brown butter milk:
6 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 pound unsalted butter
for the ice cream:
5 1/2 cups brown butter milk
90 grams non-fat dried milk powder
40 grams dextrose (if unavailable, use sugar)
250 grams granulated sugar
200 grams large egg yolks
40 grams glucose syrup/corn syrup
10 grams sage
1. Brown the butter until almost black in color. Carefully whisk in milk and add heavy cream.
2. Pour into a container while hot and allow to cool slightly. Refrigerate overnight.
3. The next day, punch a hole in fat and pour off milk. (make sure you get all the burnt solids, and don't allow any fat to remain)
4. Next, make the ice cream. Blend the milk and milk powder together. Add the sugars.
5. Blend in egg yolks and glucose. Add sage.
6. Cook gently over a water bath at 160° F for 20 minutes. Cool and strain. Freeze in an ice cream machine and enjoy.