Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
2 spring onions
1 small kabocha squash (about 2 pounds)
kosher salt, to taste
1/2 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 cup almonds
1/2 bunch parsley, stemmed
2 sprigs oregano, stemmed
1/3 cup whole milk yogurt
1 garlic clove, smashed into a paste
1. Heat oven to 350°F|180°C.
2. Light a grill (alternatively, light your oven broiler). Cut the spring onions In half lengthwise, leaving the roots intact to hold them together. Rake the coals under the grill for medium-hot grilling. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place the spring onions cut side down on the grill and and cook them until they are satisfyingly brown and have nice, dark grill marks, about 4 minutes. Turn them over and grill for another few minutes on the second side. Move them to a cooler part of the grill and pile them into a little tangle to steam for 3 more minutes. Remove from the grill and let cool.
3. Peel the kabocha with a vegetable peeler, then cut it in half and remove the seeds. Cut into 3/4 –inch-thick wedges, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and arrange in a single layer in a steamer. Steam until just tender, about 20 minutes, then let cool to room temperature.
4. Boil the pomegranate juice in a pot until it is thick and has reduced to about 1 tablespoon. While the pomegranate juice is reducing, spread the almonds on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven until they are a shade darker, about 8 minutes. Once they are cool, taste them to make sure they are crunchy. If not, pop them back in the oven for a few more minutes Chop them coarsely and add to the reduced juice along with the parsley, oregano, a pinch of salt, and enough olive oil to cover the nuts and herbs.
5. Mix the yogurt with the garlic. Spoon the garlicky yogurt onto a plate and arrange the steamed kabocha wedges on top. Drape the grilled spring onions over the kabocha, then spoon the herby, nutty, pomegranatey mixture on top.
Author's Note: Adapted from This Is Camino by Russell Moore, Allison Hopelain, and Chris Colin, Ten Speed Press, October 13, 2015