Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
for the black beans and jackfruit:
1 pound|454 grams black beans, soaked overnight, then drained
1/2 cup|150 grams tamarind pulp
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 shallots, diced
3 Thai chiles, smashed
4 cups|1000 ml mushroom stock
1/4 cup|60 ml soy sauce
1 (12-ounce|235 gram) can jackfruit, drained and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 stalks lemongrass, smashed and tied in a bundle
for the royal trumpet mushroom adobo:
1/2 cup|125 ml coconut oil
1 pound|454 grams royal trumpet mushrooms, halved and scored
1 tablespoon annato seeds
8 ounces|225 grams shallots, sliced into half-inch rings
12 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 cups|500 ml coconut vinegar
1/2 tablespoon crushed black pepper
3 bay leaves
cooked white rice
1. Cook the black beans: Mix the tamarind pulp with 1/2 cup hot water and let sit for 20 minutes. Place over a fine mesh strainer and, using your hands, squeeze the tamarind until you extract a paste. Discard the pulp. Makes 3/4 cup.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Add the garlic and shallots and cook until golden, 10 minutes. Add the chilies and cook 2 minutes longer, then add the reserved tamarind paste, the drained beans, the stock, soy sauce, jackfruit, lemongrass, and 4 cups water. Cook, covered, until the black beans are tender, about 1 hour. Discard the lemongrass and keep warm.
3. Make the adobo: Heat half of the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook, scored-side down, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
4. Add the remaining oil and bloom the annatto seeds. Using a slotted spoon, remove the seeds, discarding them. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until golden, about 4 minutes. Return the mushrooms to the pan and add the vinegar, black pepper, and bay leaves. Cook, uncovered, until reduced by 3/4, 8 to 10 minutes.
5. To serve, ladle some beans into a bowl and top with the adobo. Serve with white rice on the side.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here .