Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
1 quart whole milk
2 pounds American cheese, cubed
4 cups macaroni
1 large bag Cheetos or any cheesy stick-chip
1. First, make the cheese sauce. In a large pot over medium heat, add milk. Bring to a simmer. Add cubed American cheese little by little, stirring with a spatula until you achieve a velvety cheese sauce.
2. Next, boil macaroni. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil in a separate large pot. Add macaroni, stirring every once in a while to make sure they don't clump together. Do not overcook. We are going to bake the casserole later. A little bite is OK. "Al dente" is what we are going for.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees°F. Drain the pasta, add back into the pot. Add cheese sauce until the pasta is covered but not soupy.
4. Add cheesy macaroni to the casserole dish. Smash all the Cheetos up and sprinkle evenly, covering every inch of the macaroni. You want a golden crust all the way to the edge.
5. Bake the macaroni at 400° F until golden brown. Let rest for 5 minutes, then serve.
6. Add favourite hot sauce, ketchup, or whatever. This is a blank canvas. Add ham, bacon, tomatoes, kale—whatever you want to add will be amazing. Let your freak flag fly.