Photos by Daniel C Sims for Getty Images
Fashion week is just a quick sniff away here in New York City, and we couldn't be more psyched for the new collection from one of the most forward-thinking labels around town: Chromat. Past shows have seen buzzing underground DJs like Juliana Huxtable and HD soundtracking designer Becca McCharen's empowering vision of the future—and the latest collection was no different.
New York DJ and producer Joey LaBeija put together an explosive mix of original edits for Chromat's SS16 runway show, which went down in September last year. "Since the collection was inspired by a bionic woman in the future and included a lot of sportswear, the first thing that came to mind was Jock Jams," LaBeija told THUMP over email. "I wanted the runway mix to be as action-packed as an old Jock Jams CD or a workout mix, all while still being true to what I do."
Joey LaBeija (Photo by Nick Blumenthal)
In the quick-hitting, 12-minute power mix, LaBeija drops his edits of cuts by Kelela, Junglepussy, and Air Max '97, showcasing his penchant for hard-hitting hip-hop, pop, and club music. This is not the first time the fashion designer and DJ/producer have teamed up—LaBeija also made a "beach goth" mix for Chromat's swimwear show in Miami last year.
"Seeing Joey tear up his set at VAPELANDIA reminded me of how amazing it was to collaborate with him," McCharen added over email. "Bringing it home to NYC meant we could go all the way into the dark and sporty world that Joey and I inhabit and celebrate all the fearless women in our world."
Check out the mix above, some backstage photos from Chromat's SS16 show below, and don't miss Chromat's NYFW afterparty with UNiiQU3, UMFANG, Speakerfoxxx, and Factory Girls on February 12, 2016 in New York City.
- The High (JL Edit) - Kelela/Dismantle
- Speaking in Tongues (JL Edit) - Tink/MikeQ/Gundam/Scoundrel)
- Women Beat Their Men (JL Edit) - Submission/Grrl
- Celebrity Skin (JL Edit) - Hole/Dj Fade
- A Grade Good (JL Edit) - Junglepussy/MM
- Overflow (JL's Moss Edit) - Rahel/NA
- 401 W (JL Edit) - Jayd Ink/MM
- Crazy (JL's Alarma Edit) - Kat Dahlia/King DouDou
- Current Events feat. Dai Burger - Celestial Trax
- Commie Mommie (JL & Skyshaker Remix) - Maluca/Nire
- Bring in the Katz - K.W. Griff
- Progress and Memory (Neana Remix) - Airmax '97
- You Playin with a Silver Cloak (JL Edit) - Jayd Ink/Drippin