This article originally appeared on VICE Canada.
Canada has finally secured medical-grade face masks to protect healthcare workers from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) after U.S. President Donald Trump reached a deal with the company 3M that will allow for the export of equipment.
Last week, Trump invoked the Defense Production Act, which was supposed to compel companies like 3M to keep N95 masks in the U.S.
But 3M has dissented since Trump first issued the order, and said fewer shipments to Canada would mean fewer masks for Americans.
A new deal was signed on Monday, hours after Ontario Premier Doug Ford told reporters the province only has enough N95 masks to last one more week.
Trump and 3M confirmed that Canada and Latin America will continue to receive respirators as well.
Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland referred to the global scramble to access medical equipment as the “Wild, Wild West.”
Ontario outlaws Airbnb
Ontario joined Quebec on Monday when it temporarily banned Airbnb from operating, unless they’re helping vulnerable Canadians.
The province issued an emergency order that limited online, short-term rental services to those “who are in need of housing during the emergency period.”
Several U.S. states and municipalities have already banned short-term rentals, including Poconos, Pennsylvania and Florida.
COVID-19 hits Indigenous communities
COVID-19 has made its way into Eabametoong First Nation--the first case to afflict a northern Ontario First Nation.
According to CBC News, the man, who is in his 40s, is now in self-isolation.
But many Indigenous communities lack the infrastructure to fight COVID-19, including clean running water, adequate housing, and medical supplies.
Grand Chief Alvin Fiddler of the Nishnawbe Aski Nation is asking the provincial and federal governments for urgent supplies.
CERB launches smoothly
Monday marked day one for Canada’s Emergency Response Benefit, which pays eligible people who have lost income because of COVID-19 $2,000 per month for four months.
More than 300,000 people applied for the CERB during its first day live.
The government asked people to stagger their applications based on birth moment to prevent a system crash.
Canadians born between January and March were asked to apply on Monday, and many took to social media to say the application process went smoothly. People born between April and June should apply on Tuesday.
Canada cases still soaring
As of Tuesday morning, the country had 16,667 probable or confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 323 deaths.
Here is the latest breakdown of confirmed and probable COVID-19 cases across Canada:
British Columbia: 1,266
Newfoundland and Labrador: 226
New Brunswick: 103
Nova Scotia: 293
Prince Edward Island: 22
Northwest Territories: 5
On Sunday, the global total of confirmed COVID-19 cases surpassed 1.2 million, with more than 67,000 deaths.
Follow Anya Zoledziowski on Twitter.