Advertisement
The VICE Guide to Right Now

Pentagon Posted a Video from 2007 to Prove the Raid in Yemen Was Successful

The military took it down a few hours later after realizing the mistake, saying it had not been properly analyzed.

by Brian Moylan
Feb 3 2017, 10:01pm

Photo credit should read SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images

The US military released a training video on Friday that it said it had obtained during the recent terror raid in Yemen, only to remove it a few hours later after realizing that the video had already surfaced almost ten years ago, BuzzFeed reports.

The "Lessons in How to Destroy the Cross" video was widely circulated on Friday as a way to demonstrate the valuable evidence the troops obtained during the raid, which was approved by Trump as a way to gather more intel on al Qaeda training and recruitment methods, and resulted in the deaths of one American soldier and ten Yemeni women and children.

While the troops reportedly did find and bring back this video after the raid, it had already been released to the public back in 2007. The military took the link offline a few hours after posting it, and a spokesperson acknowledged that they had not properly vetted the footage before releasing it.

"We didn't want to make it appear that we were trying to pass off old video," Colonel John J. Thomas, a spokesman for the US Central Command in the Middle East, told CNN. "What was captured from the site has already afforded insights into al-Qaeda leadership, AQAP methods of exporting terror, and how they communicate," he said in a statement.

The Pentagon had a briefing scheduled for 2 PM today to provide more details about the military action, because it believed that there was some false reporting on the subject. However, after making this error, the briefing was canceled.