Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
for the squash:
1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
for the broth:
3/4 cup chicken stock
4 dried shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
3 Thai chilies (2 smashed, 1 thinly sliced)
1 lime, zest removed with a vegetable peeler
1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed and smashed
1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
1 (2-inch) piece galangal, roughly chopped
1 (2-inch) piece ginger, roughly chopped
8 makrut leaves, crumpled in your hands
1 bunch coriander roots
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1 scallion, thinly sliced
Fish sauce, to taste
Palm sugar, to taste
for the tomato salad:
7 sun gold tomatoes, halved
1 lime, zested and juiced
1 Thai chili, thinly sliced)
1 tablespoon fish sauce
palm sugar, to taste
for the onions:
3 spring onions, halved
2 tablespoons canola oil
for the fish:
4 (4-ounce) pieces bass
2 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt, to taste
white pepper, to taste
1. Prepare the zucchini. Place the zucchini on a sheet tray and drizzle with the fish sauce and salt on both sides. Place in the sun for at least 1 hour.
2. Make the broth: Place the chicken stock, mushrooms, garlic, chilies, lime zest, lemongrass, coconut milk, galangal, and ginger in a small saucepan over medium-low. Infuse for at least 30 minutes. Add in the remaining ingredients and infuse for an additional 5 to 7 minutes. Strain, then season to taste with the fish sauce and sugar. Keep warm.
3. Make the tomato salad: Toss all ingredients in a small bowl and season with the fish sauce and sugar. Set aside until ready to serve.
4. Prepare the onions: Wipe the skillet clean and heat the canola oil over medium. Add the onions, cut-side down, and cook until golden, 4 minutes. Flip, then add 1/2 cup water and cover. Cook until soft, 3 minutes. Season with salt and transfer to a place with the fish.
5. Cook the fish: Season the fish all over with salt and white pepper. Wrap the fish securely using plastic wrap. Set up a steamer basket on your stovetop. Add the fish and steam for 3 to 5 minutes, or until almost cooked through. Place immediately in the freezer until cool enough to handle, then unwrap from the plastic wrap. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high. Add the fish, skin-side down, and cook until crisp, 1 1/2 minutes. Flip and cook until golden, 2 1/2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
6. To serve, Divide the fish and onion halves among 4 plates. Add about 1/4 cups broth to each plate. Roll the zucchini slices up and divide among the plates. Top with the tomato salad and some edible flowers and herbs.
Get recipes like this and more in the Munchies Recipes newsletter. Sign up here .