Prep time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
for the spicy beef:
4 steaks, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon honey
¼ teaspoon Chinese five spice
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 stalks of lemongrass, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 red bird's eye chili, minced
for the fish dip sauce:
100 milliliters white vinegar
10 tablespoons cane sugar
200 milliliters fish sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 red bird's eye chilies, stemmed and minced
½ large red chili (not too spicy), stemmed and minced
juice from 1 lime
for the noodle salad:
400 grams thin rice noodles
2 tablespoons crispy onions
2 tablespoons ground peanuts
½ cucumber, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
100 grams bean sprouts
300 grams mixed herbs and salads
1. Prepare the beef: In a small bowl, combine the beef with the soy sauce, fish sauce, honey, five spice, garlic, lemongrass, shallot, and chili, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over high. Working in batches, add the meat and cook, turning once, until cooked, about 4 minutes.
3. Prepare the fish dip sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, and 400 ml water and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved, then cool. Stir in the garlic, chilies, and lime juice and let the sauce rest for 10 minutes before serving.
4. Make the noodle salad: Submerge the noodles in water for approximately 20 minutes. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and cook the noodles for about 10 seconds. Drain the noodles and run under cold water.
5. Divide the noodles between 4 soup bowls and top with the bean sprouts and cucumber. Add the grilled beef and sprinkle with the crispy onions and peanuts. Let your dinner guests add the herbs, salad and fish dip sauce themselves as they please.