Advertisement
Munchies

Little Caesars Faces $100 Million Lawsuit over Alleged Halal Pizza Mishap

The lawsuit alleges charges including breach of contract and fraud.

by Gigen Mammoser
May 27 2017, 9:00pm

Photo by Flickr user Davis Staedtler

A Muslim man in Dearborn, Michigan is seeking $100 million in a lawsuit against Little Caesars, claiming the chain pizza restaurant allegedly served pork on pizzas labelled "halal."

Pork is considered 'haram,' or "forbidden" for Muslims to eat.

Mr. Mohamad Bazzi, the plaintiff of the lawsuit against Little Caesars, claims that on two separate incidences, on March 20 and May 24, he and his wife were served pizzas containing pepperoni made from pork, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Bazzi and his wife claim to have realized the meat was in fact pork soon after eating it. They later both "became sick to their stomach," says the lawsuit.

The lawsuit further alleges numerous charges against Little Caesars including breach of contract and fraud. Mr. Bazzi's lawyer intends to make it a class-action lawsuit.

Jill Proctor, a Little Caesars spokesperson told MUNCHIES, "Little Caesars cherishes our customers from all religions and cultures, and the communities we serve are very important to us. While we can't comment on pending litigation, we take this claim very seriously. At this time, we believe it is without merit."

READ MORE: Halal Slaughter Is More Complicated Than You Realize

This is not the first time a case has been brought against a fast-food restaurant in the area for misrepresenting halal food. Two McDonald's restaurants in Dearborn were also previously sued for offering halal-advertised items that were not really halal.

The lawsuit was settled for $700,000, after which point, McDonald's announced they would no longer be offering a halal menu in the United States.