News

Everything We Know So Far About the Attack in Nice Thursday

Piecing together information in the aftermath of another horrifying attack in France.
July 15, 2016, 10:25am

Luca Bruno / AP

On Thursday night in Nice, France, a truck sped down the seaside promenade where people had gathered to celebrate Bastille Day. So far, 84 people are confirmed to have died, with many more injured, around 18 of whom are in critical condition. This is everything we know so far.

The truck was driven for almost 1.2 miles down the promenade, mowing down people in its path. Eyewitnesses reported that the driver seemed to swerve from left to right in order to kill as many people as possible. The police shot the driver, although it is yet to be confirmed that this is what stopped the attack. Photos of the truck show the windshield covered in bullet holes.

The New York Times reported that "the main strip through Nice was littered with bodies, one after the other."

President François Hollande has called the incident's "terrorist character" undeniable. "The horror has, once again, hit France," he said on Thursday evening.

So far no group has claimed responsibility for the attacks. Police have now confirmed the suspect is Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, a Franco Tunisian. A search was conducted at his home in Nice. Neighbors have told Agence France-Presse that he was a solitary, quiet figure who didn't respond when greeted. One neighbor commented he did not seem overly religious. Le Monde has reported he was born in 1985. French officials have reported the truck contained weapons and an "inactive" grenade.

People who follow ISIS communication channels saw members celebrating. One channel, called the United Cyber Caliphate, contained a message that simply said "France" and then a smiley face, according to the New York Times.

Thousands of people ran from the promenade through the center of Nice and the side streets. One eyewitness says that police simply told people to "run."

Hospitals in the region have received dozens of wounded people with some still in critical condition.

News organizations in the UK have largely avoided showing the most shocking footage of the attack, but videos are being circulated on social media, against the wishes of French police. Francetélévisions, the national broadcaster in France, apologized this morning for showing graphic images of the attack.

Marine Le Pen, the leader of the far-right Front National, has used the attacks to promote the party's anti-immigration, anti-Muslim agenda. She told Le Figaro:

"Nothing has been done, absolutely nothing—no reintroduction of double punishment, nor depriving people of nationality, nor the closure of Salafist mosques... nor the banning of certain organizations. In truth, we are not at war. For the moment, we are in a war of words."

The number of people killed in terrorist attacks in France since 2015 now stands at 231.

Today in Nice, there are lines around the block to donate blood.

We will continue to update this story as we get more information.